August 2013 – present
The Washington Post, reporter in Washington, D.C.
- Covering public safety and criminal justice in Maryland.
July 2012 – August 2013
The Washington Post, American University fellow in Washington, D.C.
- Covered Montgomery County Public Schools, the 17th largest public school system in the nation and one of the top performing districts in the country.
- Attending American University to earn a graduate degree in journalism and public affairs.
June 2005 – July 2012
The Arizona Republic, reporter in Phoenix, Ariz.
- Covered Phoenix City Hall and public affairs for the sixth-largest city in the nation, balancing coverage through daily and enterprise stories for print, breaking news online and via social media, and political blogging.
- Completed a yearlong project examining how to diversify Arizona’s economy, “Arizona Indicators.”
- Developed a model of Phoenix’s suburban growth for a Sunday A1 project exploring the lifecycle and development of area suburbs.
- Covered development and government affairs for Scottsdale, Pinal County Goodyear and Avondale, Ariz.
- Helped launch The Southwest Valley Republic, a community section of The Arizona Republic.
January 2005 – May 2005
Phoenix New Times, intern in Phoenix, Ariz.
- Developed and crafted cover story about Arizona’s Vietnamese nail salon industry.
- Produced stories for nightlife and entertainment sections of the publication.
August 2004 – December 2004
The Arizona Republic, intern in Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Developed and covered the community college/higher education beat for Scottsdale, Ariz.
June 2004 – August 2004
National Geographic, editorial intern in Washington, D.C.
- Conducted research for articles, maps and graphics; produced content for departments and online.
- Wrote text and coordinated video, graphics and animations for interactive online quiz.
January 2004 – May 2004
East West Magazine, intern in Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Edited and wrote articles for national Asian-American women’s magazine.
August 2003 – December 2003
Arizona Foothills Magazine, intern Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Copy edited and fact-checked stories for lifestyle magazine.
August 2012-July 2013, American University in Washington, D.C.
- M.A., Journalism and Public Affairs from the School of Communication.
- Cumulative GPA: 4.0.
August 2001–May 2005 Arizona State University in Tempe, Ariz.
- B.A., Journalism and Mass Communication from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism.
- Minor: Political Science.
- Cumulative GPA: 3.88.
- Completed independent study, developing a Web site about narrative journalism and non-fiction writing.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, computer assisted reporting, photo editing, SEO practices.
- Familiar with HTML, CMS, audio editing via GarageBand, video editing via Final Cut Pro.
- Speak conversational Vietnamese.
- 2015 David Pike Excellence in Journalism; Best Feature Story.
- 2013 Writers Guild of America East; John Merriman Memorial Award.
- 2011 Arizona Republic Staff Award; Best beat reporter of the quarter for coverage of the Phoenix mayoral election.
- 2011 Society of Business Editors and Writers Fellow – “Covering Public Pensions.”
- 2011 Published in News Now: Visual Storytelling in the Digital Age on “Writing for the Web.”
- 2008 Arizona Press Club award, third place project reporting, “Arizona Indicators.”
- 2008 Arizona Associated Press Managing Editors Award; second place public service, “Arizona Indicators.”
- 2006 Missouri Lifestyle Journalism Awards; finalist in multicultural reporting.
- 2005 SPJ Region 11 Mark of Excellence Award; third place in-depth reporting.
- 2005 William R. Hearst Award; ninth place feature writing, personality profile.
- 2005 Best of the West Contest; first place feature writing.
- 2005 Associated Collegiate Press; second place diversity writing.